Advanced Search and other questions

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 13, 2008   (RSS)

I purchased CMS Builder about 3 weeks ago and must say I am impressed with the power of the product for building and managing backends. I've been using PHPMaker for the last year or so to build backends for custom cms solutions and though you can do quite a bit with it, since its a code generator, there is more work in making design updates (though it does have the advantage of a single license fee). It is much quicker to work with CMS Builder for rapid prototyping as the immediate synchronizing of the schema to the interface really saves time. I have been able to build a frontend cms framework library of wrapper functions in a very short period of time because of the strength of the backend and viewer function. This includes; integrating a css dropdown menu, a lightbox type of photo gallery, categorized searchable events list, dhtml slideshow, menu category treeview and a flash video player.

Now a couple of questions on the current CMS Builder limitations.

#1) Is there anything coming for CMS Builder to provide advanced search abilities? I have sections with dropdowns to categorize content; for example - news items or a photo gallery. To make life easier for the person editing content it would make sense to give them the search ability to have a dropdown list of the categories so they could select a category to filter the rows on. Same thing holds for dates. We need to be able to search for a range of dates.

Also on the issues of dates. I much prefer the ability to use a popup calendar to enter dates then 3 dropdown lists. Would like to see this become an option for date fields.

#2) Is there any way to have additional indexes for the tables? Seems like num is the only index we can have. I like to create indexes to optimize queries where appropriate; for example - on the news category mentioned above; or dates if querying on them.

#3) One more question. Has there been any thought to a developer license? My goal is to build a framework that allows me to quickly wrap a custom design around it to provide a simple cms with standard features that I can market to clients in my area. Most of them are small businesses that have very limited budgets and my target will require a low price point.