problem connecting to mysql

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 10, 2009   (RSS)

Re: [mel] problem connecting to mysql

By Dave - February 9, 2009

Hi Mel,

MySQL switched the way they encoded MySQL passwords a while back. If you have older MySQL Client Software (meaning the PHP module that talks to MySQL) and you're talking to a newer MySQL server you can get this error.

There's some MySQL code you can run to switch the passwords back to the older format of encoding. Have a look at some of the results here for instructions:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=Client+does+not+support+authentication+protocol+requested+by+server

But first, check you're not running MySQL 5 with WAMP, that would be the first obvious cause.

Hope that helps! If you can, post back and let us know what the fix is when you find it.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] problem connecting to mysql

By Mel - February 10, 2009

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link, but to be honest I do not understand any of it

WAMP is defnitely NOT running ver 5 of mysql

I have the same config on my live server as on WAMP so for whatever reason it does not like it and now it is asking me to disable safe mode on php and when I do that it then gives me another error

So the solution for me will be to develop online - a pain I know but for whatever reason WAMP is not working for me and I have wasted the best part of 2 days trying to get WAMP to work for me - Now you know why I am not a programmer LOL - sorry to have taken up your time on this one

Thanks Mel