Notice: Next CMSB will require PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0+

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 9, 2012   (RSS)

By Dave - September 26, 2012 - edited: September 26, 2012

Hi All,

For the next release of CMS Builder we're increasing the server requirements to: PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0+

This is the same or less than required by popular open-source platforms (Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc) so it should be supported on almost every web host out there.

You can check your current versions under Admin > General (scroll to the bottom). If your running and older version of PHP or MySQL you can continue using or installing v2.17 as long as needed - it only requires: PHP 4.3.2+ and MySQL 4.1.7+, but we recommend upgrading older servers over the next few months so you can run future releases of CMSB.

Even though these updated versions (PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0+) are a lot newer then the previous requirements, they're still both over 5 years old and both have official "end of life" announcements for their vendors, who no longer releases patches for those branches and actually recommend using even newer versions.

We support these older versions on purpose to ensure our software runs on the widest range of web servers possible, but raising the requirements every few years lets us spend less time on backwards compatibility and testing and more time on new features instead.

Let me know any questions or feedback, thanks!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Notice: Next CMSB will require PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0+

Hi all,

Since my current web host, IXWebHosting, says that they won't be upgrading to 5.2.4 or MySQL 5 any time soon, I'm looking for hosting recommendations to switch some of my clients to, and the last thread on this topic is pretty old.

Important criteria for me are that the company has serious tech support available by phone 24x7 (no entry level screeners) and that their support staff's first language is English. That's my first language and it just makes communications much easier.

Others may have other requirements.

Has anyone had experience using Bluehost?

The only downside that I've found so far is that in their shared hosting environment they don't include any dedicated IP addresses and they charge $30US/year for each one you want to add.

They are pretty cheap though, at $4.95/month for a 3 year term and they do have an affiliate program.

I'm sure that there are other companies that some of you would like add to this list.

Thanks for sharing,

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

Re: [Dave] Notice: Next CMSB will require PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0+

Interesting, I was surprised too.

I guess the tech rep that I had a long conversation with was misinformed, and you are correct and he misunderstood my request.

They have been willing to move accounts to different servers in the past. Maybe they will do that for my accounts.

Thanks for checking.

Jerry Kornbluth
The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php