Sudden error with CMS

9 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 12, 2013   (RSS)

By meg - April 12, 2013

I installed a CMS with my client awhile ago. Everything has been working fine. All of a sudden, today, I try to log into the CMS and it gives me this error:

Couldn't start session! 'session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_b6dbc7e04cdfec3b06bb24b0b9aca8b9, O_RDWR) failed: Read-only file system (30)'! Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_b6dbc7e04cdfec3b06bb24b0b9aca8b9, O_RDWR) failed: Read-only file system (30) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0

What happened? Should I contact their hosting provider? Nothing has been done otherwise. 

By meg - April 12, 2013

wait...I think this is a server issue...not a CMS software issue...

By meg - April 12, 2013

ok...it's hacked..

By meg - April 12, 2013

Yes, the website has been hacked. Since I already had a backup of the CMS, I just deleted the entire directory and re-uploaded it to a new directory, but it's still giving me the same error. Should I contact them again? What should I instruct them to do?

Hi Meg,

I think this might be a server error. Could you create a file called test.php on your server and add this code:

<?php
// page1.php

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');

session_start();

echo 'Session started #1<br>';

$_SESSION['favcolor'] = 'green';
$_SESSION['animal']   = 'cat';
$_SESSION['time']     = time();

echo 'script complete';

Then view the page in a browser and see if you get the same error?

If you do get the same error I would send your hosting company a link to the file so that they can see this is a server session configuration issue. 

Cheers

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By meg - April 12, 2013

This is the error I received when I uploaded the test.php file. 

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp/sess_a456b0a5731b4bbc9c2f3cb6260002ed, O_RDWR) failed: Read-only file system (30) in /home/p26h9t2p/public_html/test.php on line 7

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/p26h9t2p/public_html/test.php:7) in/home/p26h9t2p/public_html/test.php on line 7

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/p26h9t2p/public_html/test.php:7) in/home/p26h9t2p/public_html/test.php on line 7
Session started #1
script complete
Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_a456b0a5731b4bbc9c2f3cb6260002ed, O_RDWR) failed: Read-only file system (30) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Hi Meg, 

Thanks for testing out that script for me. This is the error I expected to be returned, and shows that this is a server configuration error. 

I got the code for the test script from the PHP manual: http://php.net/manual/en/function.session-start.php so its all standard PHP code and doesn't connect to/use CMS Builder. 

A session is what PHP uses to store variables for individual users on a site (for example to store a users name, or if they have logged into a site). But this server isn't able to access the directory where this information is stored.

If you contact your hosting company and given them a link to the test.php script, and tell them that sessions aren't set up correctly on the server.

Thanks

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By meg - April 12, 2013

Thanks so much! I just notified them and provided the test.php as a reference for them.