Modifying lists (checkbox multi-value) to display value and label differently

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 10, 2013   (RSS)

By meg - July 10, 2013

With a multi-listing record, I created a list (checkbox multi-value) that's referencing another database table, with a different value and label. I'm happy with the results displaying the value in a comma delineated view, but not with the label. 

This is how it's currently displaying: 

PHP

<a href="#" class="<?php echo join(', ', $record['ingredients:labels']); ?>"><?php echo join(', ', $record['ingredients:values']); ?></a>

HTML

<a href="#" class="coconut, bananas, dates, vanilla, cashew">Thai Coconut, Banana, Dates, Vanilla, Cashew Milk</a>

Essentially, I need the results to view as such:

<a href="#" class="coconut">Thai Coconut</a>, <a href="#" class="bananas">Banana</a>, <a href="#" class="dates">Dates</a>, <a href="#" class="vanilla">Vanilla</a>, <a href="#" class="cashew">Cashew Milk</a>

What modifications do I need to make to the PHP so the HTML displays this way? Thanks so much!

By gregThomas - July 10, 2013

Hi Meg,

What about doing something like this:

<?php

$ingredients      = array_combine($record['ingredients:values'], $record['ingredients:labels']);
  $ingredientsCount = count($ingredients);
  $i                = 1; 

?>
<?php foreach($ingredients as $value => $label): ?>
  <a href="#" class="<?php echo $value; ?>"><?php echo $label; ?></a> <?php if($i != $ingredientsCount){ echo ','; } ?>
  <?php $i++; ?>
<?php endforeach; ?>

So I've combined the ingredients into one array of values and labels using array_combine (http://php.net/manual/en/function.array-combine.php), then set a count of the array to to ingredientsCount. 

Then a foreach loop goes through each item creating the link using the value and label from the array. Finally I've added an if statement to the loop that will display a comma unless it's the final item in the loop.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By meg - July 10, 2013

Sounds good, but I plugged it in and got these errors.

At the top: Notice: Undefined variable: record in /home/content/88/11310188/html/menu-and-pricing.php on line 92 Notice: Undefined variable: record in /home/content/88/11310188/html/menu-and-pricing.php on line 92 Warning: array_combine() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/content/88/11310188/html/menu-and-pricing.php on line 92

Where the ingredients are suppose to be listed: 

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/88/11310188/html/menu-and-pricing.php on line 169 

Any thoughts?

By meg - July 10, 2013

Works like a charm - thank you!!