sendMessage / Swift Mailer Question

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 30, 2013   (RSS)

By Steve99 - October 30, 2013

Hello,

I read the dev note about the sendMessage function bypassing PHP mail() and using the Swift Mailer library.

From doing some reading on Swift Mailer, it seems to have handling for "email flooding" that breaks out messages being sent to a large quantity recipients into groups.

I have an email script that sends notifications to all site members. I've opted to have this sent to the recipient list as BCC versus looping through the list. Mail servers do have different limits on the quantity of email addresses as BCC.

My understanding is that with Swift Mailer having the handling for "email flooding" should alleviate any possible issues with this. Can this be confirmed?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

By Steve99 - October 30, 2013

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the great info! I'll definitely check out those links. I wasn't aware of Mandrill free SMTP up to 12k emails/mo, pretty sweet.

Yeah, email blasts sent in a timed loop (in blocks) would be best for large volume messaging for sure.

This is a simple "Hey, there's a new article posted" notification on a low traffic site. I'd be surprised if the number of users getting notifications reaches 200. I did put a site email address in the to: line to avoid triggering spam filters.

The mail server is external so I was thinking if BCC's were batched to prevent flooding it would keep more of the load off this shared hosting account.

Thanks, Dave!

Best,
Steve