Showing old field content until updated content is approved?

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 1, 2015   (RSS)

By gkornbluth - June 22, 2015

Hi all,

Just thinking.

Has anyone worked out an easy way to show the original content of a database field on a site until updated content for that field has been approved by the section admin (some time later)?

I already send an email to the section admin informing each time there's an update, but it might be a while before the update can be approved..

Don't know, maybe I'm just not thinking clearly today, but if I toggle the hidden check box, after the update, (as I would with entirely new record) the entire record will be hidden until the update is approved, and that's not the result I'm looking for..

Updates are accomplished by a front end form, and I thought of creating a temp field for each changeable field and switching back and forth somehow, but that felt like it would get really complicated, really quickly.

Maybe not though, and I thought I'd throw it out to the experts before I started down a garden path that might lead me over a cliff.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By Dave - June 30, 2015

Hi Jerry, 

Would the content be being updated in the CMS or by a front end form?

Typically the way to do it is either using multiple records or multiple field (a duplicate set of fields prefixed with "Pending: ").  Then on click of an approval button copy the values from one set of fields to the other.  

Cheers!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By gkornbluth - July 1, 2015

Hi Dave,

Thanks for looking at this.

I kind of thought that a front end form and duplicate fields might be the way to go, but I don't have a cllue how to copy them into the approved fields at the click of an approved button.

Were you thinking of a front end form fort that also?

Any pointers?

Best,

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php