Drag Sorting Display Change

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 28, 2015   (RSS)

By Damon - October 14, 2015

Hi,

I tried recreating the issue without success using Firefox and Chrome.

Some questions for you:

What version of CMS Builder?
How many records are you viewing in the Section Editor when the drag sort issue occurs?
Does this occur when viewing a smaller number of records?
How many other fields are you displaying in the Section Editor?

Let me know so I can hopefully track this issue down.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Hi Damon,

The visual cues for the issue are subtle. So much so that I really didn't notice it with casual use. It becomes more of an issue with everyday purposeful use.

Answering your questions:

What version of CMS Builder?     v.2.65 (Build 1122)
How many records are you viewing in the Section Editor when the drag sort issue occurs?       250 per page. About 1400 total.
Does this occur when viewing a smaller number of records?       Just tested, and yes. Though there is some visual difference in the appearance, the "snapping" is equally sloppy.
How many other fields are you displaying in the Section Editor?       If I follow the question, about 15 including Actions, select box, etc.

Greg touches this site regularly for us if you want to see the actual case.

Cheers,
Jayme

By Damon - October 16, 2015

Hi Jayme,

I took a while of testing before I could see the issue. What is happening is when there are taller images in the Section Editor page, the extra height of the row is not accounted for so it sometimes will be harder to see where the dragged record will land.

Can you test removing the images from being displayed on the Section Editor page and see if that makes drag sort work as expected?

Cheers,
Damon Edis - interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Hi Damon,

I think you've nailed it. The issue crops up if a portrait-oriented thumb is used in the list view. It might be the either in the record being used, or on the list adjacent to where the target is being moved. Either way, it cause a sloppiness to the dragSortOrder.

Removing the images would be a problem in this case as the product box-shots are more more easily recognized than just reading the project name/title field.

Sounds like there's not a clear solution to make the ordering treat these a bit differently. Now that I'm aware of this issue, it's one of those things that sticks out each time I touch a list view. Is there such a thing as a UI "ear worm"? Maybe a U-Eye-worm?

J.

By Dave - October 28, 2015

Jayme, 

We've locked down the v2.xx codebase as we work towards a v3.xx release.  Would mind reminding us about this issue (if it still occurs) once we release v3.00?  If it still occurs perhaps we can add something to dynamically check for the height of the row.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Thanks Dave. That sounds good on a number of fronts. I'll be very keen to see the v.3 changes. The Bootstrap base should solve a number of complaints I'm getting from clients wishing to admin their sites on a small screen. Fingers crossed!

Will keep you posted on this issue once we test v.3 on the the local staged version of this site.

Cheers,

J.