How to use textbox to display 3rd-party code items?

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 5   (RSS)

Hello all,

Years ago I could simply set up a text box field and have the customer input a string of 3rd-party code (like paypal for example) and as soon as the record was saved the paypal buttons would appear on the live public page no problem - easy-peasy.  However, with more recent CMSB versions (I'm using ver 3.71), the public page literally shows the text of 3rd-party script code.

How can I make the textbox work and show functions or items for 3rd-party code?  In this particular case, the client is using paypal. They have different products with different prices so a copy-paste-3rd party code would be terrific.

Thank you kindly.

By TimHurd - August 4 - edited: August 4

Hi Codee,

As you can imagine allowing a user to put arbitrary code into a textbox is a security issue. This would create a situation where the user might put in some harmful code and then it be executed on their site. This is probably why the interactivetools team made sure to run the field through an encoding/escaping function so that it will print the characters of the code rather than run the code itself.

One solution you might want to try is to find out what part of the paypal code is dynamic (like a special product number etc.) and then have the user enter that into the textbox. Then when it comes to writing PHP out to their page, you can write in the paypal snippet, placing the product number into the snippet itself. Of course still make sure you validate the user input before putting it into the snippet.

For example, let's assume the paypal code uses a special product number to print out the buttons. Maybe the code looks like (and this is me just making stuff up here)...

<button id="paypal" data-product-num="12345">Pay on PayPal</button>

What you would do is create the text field to collect the "12345" product number and then in the PHP that generates the page you could use that...

<?php

$prodNum = intval($prodRec['prodNum']);

if (($prodNum > 0) && ($prodNum <= PHP_INT_MAX)) {

echo "<button id=\"paypal\" data-product-num=\"{$prodNum}\">Pay on PayPal</button>";

} else {

echo "Invalid product number!";

}

?>

Hopefully you get the idea of what we are doing here. With this type of approach you control the output of the paypal code and allow the user the option to put in the dynamic parts to customize the button. You can also control the validation of that dynamic value the user entered.

The other option is for the interactivetools team to put in a new field type tailored for things like paypal buttons or the like. Where essentially the code generator would do what I just showed you above.

I hope this helps. :)

Tim Hurd
Senior Application Developer
TimHurd.com

Hi Tim, 

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I get what you're saying and thought of that...and then I reviewed some sample code from the paypal generator (log into paypal, put all your parameters in, and they provide a small script, including with some security parameters so that price can't be changed, etc.) and realized "Dude, no clue here."  I am only speaking about this type of paypal button at this time.  Here's a sample of a code script that is for white buttons, choice of paypal, venmo, credit/debit, pay later, for $500, bullet style, and some customized naming/text:

"<script src="https://www.paypal.com/sdk/js?client-id=BAAjui822kRiVjHQ8qZogINx4vRK6tJv6vh42BltPxPcQTk3Q4yBCbZ2kdUrx_Q5rV3mNnelDEd6dVaVcI&components=hosted-buttons&enable-funding=venmo&currency=USD"></script><br>
<div id="paypal-container-8F4CVZMVS7L2C"></div><br>
<script><br>
paypal.HostedButtons({<br>
hostedButtonId: "8F4CVZMVS7L2C",<br>
}).render("#paypal-container-8F4CVZMVS7L2C")<br>
</script>"

That's it.  My client is not overly techy but can point-click-type so I was desiring the ability to copy-paste this into a field and have it show up on the site.  If I hardcode this on the page it works terrific. If I attempt to run it through a CMSB textbox field then the script shows up, literally, as text.  

Is there a simple solution?

Hi Codee,

When outputting your text box with the paypal code are you using a plain echo like:

<?php echo $record['paypal_code']; ?>

?

Thanks,
Robin

Robin
Programmer
interactivetools.com

Good morning,

I was using the code like that, and then tried it like this:

<?php echo htmlencode($galleryRecord['paypal_code']) ?>

Hi Robin,

Thank you kindly. I tried that initially because that is how it used to work. So, I plugged that back in.  It didn't work, then I noticed that Paypal's button code included <br> tags...which was not included in their earlier versions of their script buttons.  THAT is what was making it not work.  So I edited out paypal's break tags and then input the code string into the text box. Saved. Now it works!  Thank you so much for following up with me on this.  I knew it had to be something simple.  Kudos to you!