CMS Builder or Listing Manager

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 1, 2010   (RSS)

By (Deleted User) - December 5, 2008 - edited: December 5, 2008

[font "Times New Roman"]Hi,

[font "Times New Roman"]I have a site I would like to make from scratch for a manufacturer. They have lots of products and each product will have special fields. They have 2 types of products. Some are consumables. (Lets assume rolls of plastic tape). Some are machinery. (Lets assume tape machines and tape dispensers to use the plastic tape). I need to enter all products for them and have two different templates to display the results. So lets say when a site visitor clicks on the heading “Plastic Tape” it will display the results in a template that will show TAPE WIDTH, TAPE LENGTH, TAPE COLOR, etc. If a site visitor clicks on lets say “Tape Machines” it will display the results in a template that will show MACHINE MODE, TAPE SPEED, VOLTAGE, etc.

[font "Times New Roman"]I was thinking to use “Listing Manager (Realty Manager) from Interactive Tools since I had already used it on a project and I was very happy how easy I could modify templates, etc.

[font "Times New Roman"]Now I just discovered CMS Builder. So here are two questions:

[font "Times New Roman"]1) Can I use CMS Builder instead of Listing Manager. Can I add products and add custom fields to the products and can I use more than one template to display search results. Or maybe, do I need "Both", CMS Builder to make the site and Listing Manager for the product listings?

[font "Times New Roman"]2) Can I use CMS Builder on its own to design the entire site, or do I need a graphic web program like lets say Frontpage or Dreamweaver. If I make the site on CMS Builder on its own, how do I design the actual pages? Templates?

Re: [RapidWeb] CMS Builder or Listing Manager

By Dave - December 5, 2008

Hi RapidWeb, welcome to the CMS Builder forum.

Definitely start with CMS Builder. It should be able to do everything you need and more. But give yourself some time to get up to speed and familiar with it.

The only reason to go with Listings Manager for this would be if you are on a really tight deadline and don't want to risk the possible delay in learning something new. Overall CMS Builder is a lot faster once you've learned it though.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] CMS Builder or Listing Manager

By (Deleted User) - December 6, 2008

Thanks for your reply.

Still wondering... do I need a design software or can I do everything in CMS Builder? With Realty Manager (Listing Manager), I designed the site in Frontpage and edited all the templates there. Can I do the entire site in CMS Builder similar to Joomla?

Re: [Dave] CMS Builder or Listing Manager

By (Deleted User) - November 30, 2010

This is an old thread but I just read some of my post. I did do the site in late 2008 with CMS Builder. Here it is:

http://www.qualitystrapping.com/

Designed in Dreamweaver, they are simple HTML pages with the code inserted from CMS Builder.

I also wanted to say that I have used Interactive Tools products for a few years now and have NEVER EVER dealt with a software company so dedicated to its clients. The software is great. It works. It is fast. The people behind the products are freindly and always helpful.

Re: [RapidWeb] CMS Builder or Listing Manager

By Dave - December 1, 2010

Hi RapidWeb,

That's great, thanks for posting back and for your kind words. :)

If you'd like to submit your site to the showcase I think it would be a great example of an industrial supply site:
http://www.interactivetools.com/showcase/

All the best,
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com