News Headlines Only

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 16, 2009   (RSS)

I am using the CMS system to build a site and I am trying to find a way when I create a section editor fro news to display just the headlines and a brief story about the posting and possibly a link to read the whole article. I am not sure how to do this, I know it is possible I just do not know where to look.

Re: [wthigginbotham] News Headlines Only

By ross - June 16, 2009

Hi there.

Thanks for posting!

When you are setting up what to display on your pages you end up having complete control. Basically, CMS Builder will generate the code for a page that displays all your fields for each record and then list all the records one after another. If you only need a couple fields, you only copy a few of the fields out of the generated code.

What you'll actually want to do though is start with an HTML mockup of the page you are trying to setup. Just do the whole thing by hand to start so you know exactly what you need and where you need it.

Once you get that going, post me a copy of it or a link to it and I can walk you through the CMS Builder parts from there.

At this stage, you don't need to worry about CMS Builder or PHP or anything like that.

Keep me up to date :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [wthigginbotham] News Headlines Only

By ross - June 16, 2009

Hi there.

From what I am reading, it really sounds like what you are trying to setup here is exactly what CMS Builder does :).

When you generate the code for your section, there will be a field that you can use for the link to your full page. It will look something like this:

<a href="<?php echo $record['_link']; ?>Read More</a>

It sounds like you are on the right track though so keep at it and let me know if you need a hand with anything along the way :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/