Newsletter Builder v1.01 Released!

Re: [Dave] Newsletter Builder v1.01 Released!

By Dave - September 1, 2012

And here's the changelog for Newsletter Builder 1.01:

*NOTE* This upgrade requires v2.17 of the CMS, be sure to upgrade the CMS before you upgrade the plugin!

New Features
- Background Mailer: If no messages are pending then no output is returned on command-line to prevent needless cronjob emails

Bug Fixes & Code Changes
- Background Mailer: Added new BACKGROUND_SEND_WEB_MAX option to allow a different limit for the web interface
- Background Mailer: Fixed issues where "You must be logged in as Admin" would be displayed if membership plugin wasn't in use
- Background Mailer: Fixed cronjob warnings: "Undefined index: SCRIPT_NAME" and "Undefined index: HTTP_HOST"
- Fixed issue were message encoding caused some email readers to display HTML sourcecode instead of proper message
- Fixed issue were it wasn't possible to save test emails if they had extra whitespace around them.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Dave: I have a suggestion for future features:

The ability to create and manage more than one newsletter per site. Basically, the owner should be able to create unlimited newsletter templates, and when s/he creates a newsletter, choose which template to use.

This also implies that users would be able to choose which newsletter to subscribe to (multiple).

I think this would be a great future capability.

Ragi
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

Re: [northernpenguin] Newsletter Builder v1.01 Released!

By Dave - September 3, 2012

Hi Ragi,

Thanks for the suggestion. We've had a few ideas around this but wanted to keep it simple for version 1.

What do you think the most common use-case is? That a site would have multiple newsletters and the user would check off all the ones they want? Would the subscribe box take them to a secondary page where they did that?

Let me know how you'd like that to work. Thanks.
interactivetools.com

I think something lik this:

1. When a template is created, it has 2 states, active and inactive;
2. If active, it displays on the subscribe page where the subscribed checks off the newsletters he wants to subscribe to;
3. The list of active newsletters would display on the manage.php page.
4. User accounts would track which newsletters individual users subscribe to.
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

Re: [northernpenguin] Newsletter Builder v1.01 Released!

By Dave - September 3, 2012

Thanks Ragi, I've added your features to our request features document.

We have a few new features already in the works including open-tracking and basic reporting, so we'll review after this next round of development and decide on the next priorities.

Thanks!
interactivetools.com