CMS Installation - MBSTRING error

3 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 5, 2013   (RSS)

By mediaco - June 4, 2013

I have a new site that will be powered by CMSB.

Whilst installing I got the error about MBSTRING and safe_mode.

The customer contacted the ISP to have them make the necessary changes but they said they will not do this as the site is on a shared server.

We offered to host the site elsewhere but the customer is refusing so we have reached an impasse.

In order to get the CMSB installed I attempted to modify the /lib/init.php myself. I have commented out the following lines:

250 if (!extension_loaded('mbstring')) { $missingExtensions .= "This program requires the PHP 'mbstring' extension.<br/>\n"; }

266 $inSafeMode = ini_get('safe_mode') && strtolower(ini_get('safe_mode')) != 'off';

267 if ($inSafeMode) { $errors .= "Please disable the 'safe_mode' setting in php.ini. (safe_mode has been removed from the latest PHP versions and it's use is <b>highly discouraged</b> by the authors of PHP - <a href='http://php.net/manual/en/ini.sect.safe-mode.php'>read more</a>)<br/>\n"; }

The CMSB is now installed and operational, but i'm worried that making these edits will effect the CMSB.

Can you please advise as this is now a matter of urgency.

Ross.

By gregThomas - June 4, 2013

Hi Ross, 

The problem with safe_mode is that the host can disable arbitrary parts of PHP, so you never really know what's going to work and what won't, and you get strange errors (and sometimes none).

The main issues people have when safe mode is enabled is with uploading files, sometimes they are unable to upload some types of files, or in extreme cases, any files at all. So the main thing I would check is that uploads are working correctly.

If you've tested the CMS and can't find any errors or issues then you're probably OK.

Let me know if you run into any issues. 

Thanks!

Greg

Greg Thomas

PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com