The requested URL /cmsAdmin/admin.php was not found on this server

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 23, 2009   (RSS)

By NigelGordijk - October 22, 2009 - edited: October 22, 2009

Hi, there.

I'm installing CMSB on a client's server. I've been able to upload all of the files and set permissions as required. The server IP address is 216.16.234.158; I don't have a URL associated with it yet.

When I run http://216.16.234.158/cmsAdmin/admin.php, I get a 404 Not Found error page.

Is it possible to complete an installation with just the IP address, or do I need a full Web address?

Thanks,
Nigel Gordijk

Common Sense Design: User-focused Web design
Tel: 001 519 342 5348 | Web: www.commonsensedesign.net

Re: [NigelGordijk] The requested URL /cmsAdmin/admin.php was not found on this server

By Donna - October 22, 2009

Hi Nigel!

It's definitely possible -- an IP address is no different from a domain name, it's just a different way of accessing space on a server.

If you're getting a 404 though, that means the files aren't actually located where that URL is pointing. If you upload any other files to that spot, can you access them? Often IP-based addresses will require some extra path info, as very few sites have an IP all to themselves (most use a shared IP address.) So it might be something like:

http://216.16.234.158/~yourusername/cmsAdmin/admin.php

...or something like that. :) Check with your server admin, they should be able to tell you the exact URL to your home directory.
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] The requested URL /cmsAdmin/admin.php was not found on this server

Thanks, Donna. I'll check with my host.
Nigel Gordijk

Common Sense Design: User-focused Web design
Tel: 001 519 342 5348 | Web: www.commonsensedesign.net

Re: [NigelGordijk] The requested URL /cmsAdmin/admin.php was not found on this server

Nigel: The exact same thing happened to me prior to my client getting his Domain Name. The IP is probably a shared-IP as provided by the ISP. I had to use get the client's username as described by Donna for it to work. You'll also have to use it when you configure CMSB. It can be changed later when you get the domain.

Ragi
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke